About Me

My photo
I'm a mom, but I am also so much more. I'm a wife, I work, cook, shop, craft, try to stay healthy, keep up on the latest technology, and style trends, and much more! Come join me in my adventure of making a new blog that allows us to share the everyday things (ups and downs) that turns living an everyday life into living a lively life!

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Gluten Free Olliebollen (a real Dutch treat)

Oliebollen is a traditional Dutch treat and one of my personal favorites! 

You will also see it spelled 'Olie-bollen'. This is a dutch pastry similar to a doughnut. It typically is a deep fried pastry filled with raisins or apples and dusted with sugar. 


However, being gluten free I have missed out on eating this treat over the years, so I decided it was time to make a GF version.

First start by mixing up a gluten free flour base. Here is my favorite standby: 




Take 4 cups of the gluten free flour mixture.


Add 1/2 cup of sugar, 
        4 tsp baking powder, 
        1 tsp salt. 
Mix together.


Add 2 eggs
        1 1/2 cups milk
         1/4 cup canola oil.
Mix together by hand



The dough should be sticky and thick. (This gluten free version will feel different than regular batter.)


Chop up 2 apples (the smaller you chop them the better) and add 1cup of raisins.



Fold the apples and raisins into the batter.


Heat oil to 375 degrees in a large pan.

Drop a small spoonful into oil. Make sure the balls of dough are small. (Golf ball size) if they are too big the centers will not cook. 


When the Olliebollen are cooked, 2-3 minutes, take them out with a slotted spoon and put them on a paper towel. When they are cool enough to touch roll in a cinnamon sugar mixture. Traditional Oliebollen are dusted with powdered sugar but I love the cinnamon sugar. I think it goes so much better with the apple flavor.


Now eat and enjoy. They taste best fresh and warm. 
Try not to eat them all in one sitting! 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment